Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sweets and Liquids

Sweets + Liquids = ??  No ... not soda pop, but the themes for challenges at 365 Cards ! 

Wednesdays are now known as "Word Wednesday" and this week's word was "Sweet." 

When I think of sweet, I think of frosting! I don't understand people who eat the cake but push the frosting off to the side, saying "It's just TOO sweet!" TOO sweet??? Impossible! I'd rather eat the frosting and leave the cake! 

But I digress. The challenge was to design a card that represents what you think of when you hear the word sweet. Here's what I came up with:


365 Cards - Day 23 "Sweet"

I love the yummy colors! The paper from the Nana's Kitchen stack from Die Cuts With a View. The cupcake is a digi stamp from Pink Petticoat, and the sentiment is also a digi stamp from Paper Garden Projects.

I just used Microsoft Word to generate the wish inside. Although the margins were set evenly and I had it set to center, for some reason it came out off center. So I cut a candle to even out the inside.



Liquid was the theme of Day 24's Challenge. The card had to incorporate a liquid of some kind ... something that had once been a liquid (stamp pads don't count).

I've been wanting to try one of these watercolor backgrounds for a while, and decided this was the perfect opportunity to do it. 


365 Cards - Day 24 "Liquid"

First I heat embossed the floral image (from a Hero Arts sympathy stamp set) onto watercolor paper. Then I used fairly concentrated watercolor in Carmine, Vermillion, and Lemon Yellow for the background. When it was almost dry, I used a tissue to wipe the color off of the embossed image. My original plan was to use a pink background paper, but the image just got lost in it. I really like the way it looks against this buttery yellow.

I think watercolor is great fun, but admittedly I have some things to learn about technique. :) Nevertheless, I'm happy with my first attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment